From: Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] early boot failure, not sure how to diagnose
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 08:43:31
1 I got new hardware for a home desktop a few days ago.
2 Downloaded install-amd64-minimal-20130801.iso and am still booting
3 from that cd as hard drive boot fails.
4
5 I turned on logging in /etc/rc.conf, but no /var/log/rc.log is produced.
6 The disks are mounted but readonly. I guess from this the problem is
7 occurring before the root partition is mounted.
8
9 I only have 4 partitions: boot, swap, root, and home. Since everything
10 important is on the root partition, I'm not using an initramfs.
11
12 I have many times tried to catch the error by watching the screen, but it
13 scrolls past way to fast.
14
15 The last part of the boot messages before things go crazy is
16 "Switching to clocksource TSC".
17
18 I've been reading up on grub, but don't see anyway to get more info on what
19 is going wrong.
20
21 If I boot from the cd and chroot to the disk, everything seems to work
22 fine. /boot is ext2 fs and this is my grug.conf:
23 default 0
24 timeout 20
25 splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
26
27 title Gentoo Linux 3.8.13
28 root (hd0,0)
29 kernel /boot/3.8/13-0/bzImage root=/dev/sda3