From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Resuming an emerge where it left off
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 23:36:17
1 On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 01:15:08 +0200, Sebastian Redl wrote:
2
3 > > Whereas emerge clears the work directory and starts again, running
4 > > ebuild directly does not. It's also possible with emerge with
5 > > FEATURES="keepwork" but I prefer the ebuild method.
6 > >
7 > With the Thunderbird ebuild, at least, directly invoking ebuild starts
8 > compilation over, but it does not re-unpack the files. I'm not quite
9 > sure how it does that, though. I know it re-runs configure, which might
10 > have something to do with it.
11 > It might actually resume properly on other ebuilds.
12
13 ebuild touches files in the work directory so it can see what has been
14 done. While configure may be run again, make won't recompile files that
15 don't need to be recompiled, so compilation picks up where it left off.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 SUBLIMINALsendmoneyTAGLINE