From: Sami Samhuri <sami@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] nfs mount has now become read-only
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 02:13:46
Mark Knecht wrote:
> Thanks Sami!
Glad to be of help.
> On 4/3/06, Sami Samhuri <sami@××××××××××.com> wrote: >> Mark Knecht wrote:
>> When you see numbers such as 501 in the directory listing that means the user or >> group who had that user id is not found in /etc/passwd or /etc/group. > > OK, that means it's using the passwd file local to that specific > machine then.
>> The user id's on all the machines you use with NFS have to be the same. I found >> this in the HP-UX documentation via google: >> >> >>>> From:
[...] > OK, I think you've hit on a potential problem here. Problem is what is
> the best way to address this on machines that have been running for a > long time? Can I safely edit /etc/passwd and /etc/group and then do > chown -R commands to change the ownership of files on the systems > after I make all the IDs and groups identical?
As long as all of the files in eg. /home/mark are owned by mark then I don't think you'll have a problem. I've done this without anything bad happening to my box, but I won't make you any promises. ;) I didn't know about the useful anonuid and anongid options that Conway mentioned. I think if you set that up as he described that will be best (I'm planning to do the same now). If you add any additional boxes later you won't have to worry about uids matching. -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list