From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Outside of portage (was Re: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 00:03:24
Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> skribis:
> Out of habit, I still use the kernel sources from
This makes me curious what other people are using from outside of Portage. I install Grub outside of Portage, on the grounds that (a) it is a bad thing to upgrade unless you have to; and (b) the Grub 2 ebuilds were broken anyway, and I didn’t want to switch back to Grub 1 when moving from Exherbo back to Gentoo. So I used the default GNU install procedure in /usr/local. If the machine boots, the machine boots, and I’m satisfied. (I also use only package.use and not make.conf for use flags, a habit picked up from using Paludis, and recently got rid of package.mask and use package.accepted_keywords for all my masking. Lots of redundancy in Portage these days, maybe a bit too much.)