From: Sebastian Redl <sebastian.redl@×××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Errors when doing an emerge -uD world
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:53:58
1 John C. Shimek wrote:
2
3 > I think the biggest problem, I could be wrong thoug, is that usually
4 > when packages get remasked like that and upgrades go backwards, it is
5 > a security problem. And even that seems to be uncommon. I have not
6 > ever seen one of my packages go backwards but I could have missed one
7 > or two.
8
9 In the other direction, the biggest problem is when you explicitely
10 unmask a specific version (echo "=dev-db/mysql-5.0.9-alpha ~amd64" >>
11 /etc/portage/package.keywords) and then there's a minor upgrade
12 (=dev-db/mysql-5.0.9-beta), and the version you unmasked is thrown out.
13 Doing a blind -uD will downgrade to the latest stable version in that case.
14 Of course, the answer here is to use -p and unmask the new versions
15 before proceeding. And you can mask the old ones to guard yourself
16 against accidental downgrading. (echo "<dev-db/mysql-5" >>
17 /etc/portage/package.mask)
18
19 Sebastian Redl
20 --