From: Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: grub fs support
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:01:36
1 Saphirus Sage, mused, then expounded:
2 > Beso wrote:
3 > > 2009/1/26 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>:
4 > >
5 > >> Bob Sanders wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >>> Morgan Wesström, mused, then expounded:
8 > >>>
9 > >>>>> I answered that initially. Grub does not support ext3 or ext4.
10 > >>>>>
11 > >>>>>
12 > >>>> # mount | grep boot
13 > >>>> /dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw,noatime)
14 > >>>>
15 > >>>> GRUB working fine with ext3 here...
16 > >>>> /Morgan
17 > >>>>
18 > >>>>
19 > >>> For now. Grub supports ext2. It may or may not work properly
20 > >>> with journaled file systems, depending upon phase of the moon,
21 > >>> current tide level, etc.
22 > >>>
23 > >> It works 100% with ext3 because ext3 is compatible with ext2, both for read
24 > >> as well as write operations. It's not dependant on tide or moon or the
25 > >> super bowl. It works, all the time, 100% correctly, with no side effects,
26 > >> no downsides and no bugs.
27 > >>
28 > >>
29 > > and also with reiserfs v3. as i've said i've been using it with
30 > > reiserfs for more than 3
31 > > years and haven't had an issue. saying that it only supports ext2
32 > > sounds a little
33 > > strange. maybe Bob was trying to say that the official grub team
34 > > officially support
35 > > only ext2. this is different from saying that grub only supports ext2.
38 > If you try hard enough, you could probably eventually get it to support
39 > anything, but the only filesystem I've heard of grub supporting is ext2.
40 > Granted, ext3 works, as we've pointed out and as I've checked the
41 > configuration on one of my computers has confirmed. But, everything I've
42 > heard suggests that grub doesn't officially support other file systems,
43 > other than ext2.
46 From the Grub online manual -
47
48 Support multiple filesystem types transparently, plus a useful explicit
49 blocklist notation. The currently supported filesystem types are BSD
50 FFS, DOS FAT16 and FAT32, Minix fs, Linux ext2fs, ReiserFS, JFS, XFS,
51 and VSTa fs.
52
53 I can give examples where is doesn't work with XFS.
54
55 I haven't seen it fail with ext3, but I've not tested all configs.
56
57 Bob