From: "P.V.Anthony" <pvantony@×××××××××××.sg>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] OT: Need advice on usb thumb drive boot
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 05:20:38
1 Hi,
2
3 I am going to build a filesever for my office. We are going to put in 15
4 drives in the case. There will be 4gb of ram.
5
6 I was thinking of putting the OS on two thumbdrives raided as raid 1.
7 The reason for this is so that I can dedicate all the 15 drives for data
8 storage and there is no more space to place two additional drives for
9 the OS.
10
11 From the net, I gather that flash drives have a limited write/erase. Is
12 there a way that this can be overcome?
13
14 I was thinking of aufs. From what I understand, with aufs all the write
15 is done only once when we shutdown the server. In this way everything is
16 in the ram until a sync command is sent. This way the flash drives will
17 last longer. Is this correct?
18
19 I could also make a symbolic link for the /var and /tmp to the main drives.
20
21 Is there a better way? Please advice.
22
23 P.V.Anthony
24 --
25 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list