From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Is my RAID performance bad possibly due to starting sector value?
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 18:57:49
1 On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 2:50 PM, Gary E. Miller <gem@××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 11:38:00 -0700
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Or maybe you're saying it's RAID1 and I don't know if anything bad is
5 >> happening _unless_ I do a scrub and specifically check all the drives
6 >> for consistency?
7 >
8 > No. A simple read will find the problem. But given it is RAID1 the only
9 > way to be sure to read from both dirves is a raid rebuild.
10
11 Keep in mind that a read will only find the problem if it is visible
12 to the hard drive's ECC. A silent error would not be detected. It
13 could be detected by a rebuild, though it could not be reliably fixed
14 in this way. With raid5 a silent error in a single drive per stripe
15 could be fixed in a rebuild.
18 > Your only protection against a full RAIDx failure is an offsite backup.
19
20 ++
21
22 That's why I'm not big on crazy levels of redundancy. RAID is first
23 and foremost a restoration avoidance tool, not a backup solution. It
24 reduces the risk of needing restoration, but it does not cover as many
25 failure modes as an offline backup. If btrfs eats your data it really
26 won't matter how many platters it had to chew on in the process. So,
27 by all means use RAID, but if you're going to spend a lot of money on
28 redundant disks, spend it on a backup solution instead (which might
29 very well involve disks, though you should move them offsite).
30
31 Rich