From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Disable SPP On GCC-4.8.3
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 22:57:01
1 Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> skribis:
2 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Disable SPP On GCC-4.8.3
3 > From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
4 > Reply-to: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
5 > Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 18:21:05 -0400
6 > To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
7 >
8 > On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 16:38:52 -0500
9 > Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
10 >
11 > > ... programs
12 > > having been written in the wrong languages to start with. (I mean,
13 > > where buffer overruns come from isn’t hard to figure out. They come
14 > > from using C and C++ to write the code.)
17 > Wrong language? I won't even touch this. If I did, it would likely
18 > escalate to a savage exchange on the philosophy of programming.
19 >
20 > Since I "cut my teeth" on assembly language, I have an undying fondness
21 > for C. Yet the universal trend is to leave the actual machine behind
22 > and embrace the lofty abstractions of object oriented languages.
23 > Indeed, a good deal of computing power today is used to support the massive
24 > layers of abstraction that obliterate a sense of hardware and make life
25 > easy for the programmer.
26 >
27 > But I've said enough already.
28 >
29 > Frank Peters
33 I cut my teeth on a TRS-80 with TBUG. Not even an assembler.