From: "P.V.Anthony" <pvantony@×××××××××××.sg>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] sort error
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 15:16:10
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2
3 > I found your solution by reading the manual. The syntax you use is obsolete:
4 >
5 > "On older systems, `sort' supports an obsolete origin-zero syntax
6 > `+POS1 [-POS2]' for specifying sort keys. This obsolete behavior can
7 > be enabled or disabled with the `_POSIX2_VERSION' environment variable
8 > (*note Standards conformance::); it can also be enabled when
9 > `POSIXLY_CORRECT' is not set by using the obsolete syntax with `-POS2'
10 > present."
11 >
12 > After setting that environment variable, it works as you expected.
13 >
14 > _POSIX2_VERSION=1 sort -n +0.11 testing
15
16 Thank you for sharing this version of the solution. Will remember that
17 this is an obsolete method.
18
19 Once again thank you all for sharing and helping me out.
20
21 P.V.Anthony