From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Late in the game Windows dual-boot question
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 18:06:26
1 On 5/1/06, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey posted <200605011141.50417.prh@××××××××××.uk>, excerpted
3 > below, on Mon, 01 May 2006 11:41:50 +0100:
4 >
5 > > On Sunday 30 April 2006 16:51, Mark Knecht wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> 2) When I built the machine I had 512MB in the machine so a 1GB swap
8 > >> seemed fine. I have since updated to 1GB so the swap seemed a bit small
9 > >> anyway.
10 > >
11 > > I've read somewhere that more than 1 GB swap would be wasted.
12 >
13 > I believe that's no longer correct -- under certain circumstances, anyway.
14 >
15 <SNIP>
16 >
17 > All that said, as I've mentioned a couple times now, on a single disk
18 > system, there's a /huge/ cost in terms of access speed, to access swap.
19
20 I'm sure this is true....
21
22 <SNIP>
23 >
24 > OTOH, with the size of today's drives, often a hundred gigabyte or more
25 > need not even be partitioned, let alone ever used, and if that's the case,
26 > throwing a few gigs at a swap partition, just so the system and system
27 > operator have the flexibility to use it if it's ever needed, certainly
28 > doesn't hurt. With a dual boot system and a drive < a couple hundred gig,
29 > it's possible there's not the room to spare I was talking above, but
30 > something reasonable, 2-4 gig, might still be possible, if one wants it.
31
32 This was what happened on my system. I wasn't totally sure when I got
33 the AMD64 machine that I would end up running 64-bit, so I built
34 64-bit on a smaller hard drive footprint. I used only about 50GB of
35 the 250GB drive. 64-bit ended up working rather well, for most things,
36 so I forgot I had this extra disk space until I got into this Windows
37 install. I hope I never use swap. This is just a desktop machine most
38 of the time with som good audio hardware for when I want to write
39 music and record with Ardour. It's my goal the almost never swap out,
40 but if I do I decided it wouldn't hurt to use up 1GB more of disk
41 space.
42
43 Now, once again, thanks to everyone who helped me get the boot
44 partition moved so I could install Win XP. I am able now to dual boot
45 XP and AMD64 Gentoo so that's cool. Unfortunately the 1GB I had at the
46 front of the drive turned out to not be enough to actually run XP. I
47 did get it installed but I don't have enough disk space to do all the
48 updates to Windows so it looks like I have to go back to the drawing
49 board on this one. The next step appears to be to move my / partition
50 further back on the drive to make more room available for Windows at
51 the front of the drive.
52
53 Is there no better way with this stupid M$ operating system?
54
55 Cheers,
56 Mark
57 >
58 > --
59 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
60 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
61 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
62 > http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
65 > --
66 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
71 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list