From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: openoffice-bin 2.0 version
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 15:55:13
1 sean posted <436D09CA.1000905@×××××××.net>, excerpted below, on Sat, 05
2 Nov 2005 14:36:42 -0500:
3
4 > Looking in the openoffice-bin directory I see a listing for
5 > openoffice-bin-2.0.0.ebuild and it does have the amd64 listed as a keyword.
6 > However, whenever I do an emerge openoffice-bin the build process
7 > installs version 1.1.5.
8 >
9 > I did notice that the keyword for 1.1.5 is as follows, KEYWORDS="amd64
10 > x86" and 2.0.0 is as KEYWORDS="~x86 ~amd64".
11 >
12 > If I recall the ~ means unstable/untested. Is this the reason, and is
13 > there a work around?
14 >
15 > I would actually rather build 2.0 but have been unable to clear the
16 > keyword for openoffice 2.0.0.
17
18 You already have an answer for this particular case, but nothing pointing
19 you to information on how it actually works, so you can understand what's
20 happening and why...
21
22 All Gentoo users should read and understand the "Working with Gentoo" and
23 "Working with Portage" portions of the Gentoo Handbook. The first part of
24 the handbook is on installation, true, but that's not ALL there is to the
25 handbook, and unfortunately, a lot of folks miss the parts of it that
26 cover actually working with a live Gentoo system, including how portage
27 works, which includes how keywords work, and the difference between ~arch
28 (unstable) and arch (stable) keywords.
29
30 Link to the Gentoo Handbook, AMD64 edition:
31 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml
32
33 Direct link to the handbook, part 2, Working with Gentoo:
34 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=2
35
36 Direct link to the handbook, part 3, Working with Portage:
37 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=3
38
39 (While I'm at it, of help for those setting up their network
40 config, part 4, Gentoo Network Configuration.)
41
42 Read and understand the handbook, and you'll be better equipped to
43 make the decisions necessary to properly admin your Gentoo computer,
44 including how to deal with keywords, the question at hand. Fail to read
45 and understand what's so readily available, and you'll continue to have to
46 post questions with "simple" answers, and won't be able to get the most
47 out of your Gentoo system, because you don't understand the basics of how
48 to configure it to fit your specific needs. In that case, you might as
49 well choose a binary distribution, not bothering with all this compiling
50 from source and customized configuration stuff, as that's what makes
51 Gentoo different from the others, better, for those who wish that level of
52 control over their own system.
57 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
58 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
62 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list