From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: chipset temperatures?
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 08:40:21
1 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
2 5bdc1c8b0704081721o5e65da49k9e1b4505a054a337@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sun, 08 Apr 2007 17:21:00 -0700:
4
5 > On 4/8/07, Christoph Mende <ch.mende@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 >> On Sun, 2007-04-08 at 15:42 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
7 >> > Hi,
8 >> > I have an Asus A8N-E motherboard which had a motherboard chipset
9 >> > fan go bad yesterday. After doing some reading I found many folks
10 >> > have had this same problem and switched successfully to Zalman
11 >> > passive heat sinks so I did the same thing today. The machine has
12 >> > been up for about 4 hours with no problems. So far so good....
13 >> >
14 >> > My question is how can I monitor chipset temp from my my desktop to
15 >> > watch this for awhile? If I drop into BIOS I see a temperature listed
16 >> > and had to turn off boot time warnings about the chipset fan going to
17 >> > slow so it seems the BIOS knows what's going on.
18 >> >
19 >> > Is there a way for me to do this in Gnome?
20 >> >
21 >> > Thanks in advance,
22 >> > Mark
23 >>
24 >> emerge lm_sensors ;>
25 >> there's probably some plugin for gdesklets too, dunno if there's
26 >> something for the panel
27 >>
28 > Thanks. I'll go read about that.
29
30 As Christoph said, lm_sensors. That's the low-level userland stuff.
31 You'll need drivers for whatever sensor chips are on your mobo -- check
32 the mobo specs and enable the correct ones in the kernel. A very few
33 might not be in the kernel yet, you'd have to merge them separately or as
34 patches, but with the 2.6 kernels they've done quite well at keeping the
35 sensors updated in the kernel mainline and add new ones regularly.
36
37 If you are lucky and/or did your homework and have a mobo from a
38 manufacturer that's suitably Linux friendly, it's possible you'll be able
39 to download a ready-made lm_sensors config from their site, just as one
40 might download MSWormOS drivers. I know Tyan does that with a lot of
41 their boards, including the one I have -- one of the big reasons I went
42 with Tyan. Of course, mine's a $400+ dual Opteron server board, too.
43 I'd not necessarily expect the same with a sub-$100 cheapie.
44
45 Once you have the kernel drivers and correct lm_sensors config setup,
46 you'll probably want a front-end for it as well. Here, I just use
47 ksysguard, which sees the lm_sensors stuff and offers it for display.
48 There's ksensors as well, and I believe Super-Karumba desktop applets for
49 it as well, on the KDE side. I understand there are gdesklets and the
50 like on the GNOME side, but don't use it so wouldn't have a clue on that,
51 other than what I've happened to read from time to time.
56 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
59 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list