From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Konqueror kcookiejar problem
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 15:59:22
1 malc <mlashley@×××××.com> posted
2 1362ccfa0907040223v6a2c1ef5mf6be8e36f17402f6@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sat, 04 Jul 2009 10:23:07 +0100:
4
5 > Thanks Duncan, your musings prompted me to check something more basic
6 > (after kconfig services was totally empty) - and solve the problem.
7 >
8 > In /usr/share/kde4/services all of kded/ ScreenSavers/ ServiceMenus/ had
9 > 700 permissions... a quick chmod to something more sane and I'm now able
10 > to put my hand in the cookiejar once more :) Odd that neither
11 > kcookiejar4 nor any other part of kde threw a useful error...
12
13 Cool! =:^)
14
15 I do recall there being a post-install message for... kdelibs??, that
16 says something to that effect, that if you have problems, check the
17 permissions. Apparently somewhere along the line they screwed them up
18 (and/or maybe it has to do with root umask settings or something), and
19 enough people are hitting it to justify adding that message.
20
21 But, this is the first time I've actually seen the problem in action, and
22 it seems a bit more severe than the message sounded like it should be, so
23 I didn't make the connection. Thanks to you, now I, and probably quite a
24 number of others reading this group, have made that connection and will
25 spot it easier if we end up encountering it ourselves, either directly,
26 or thru further posts from others with it. =:^)
27
28 Hmm... yes, kdelibs-4.2.x. From a recent log:
29
30 .[32;01m*.[0m If you experience weird application behavior (missing
31 texts, etc.) run as root:
32 .[32;01m*.[0m # chmod 755 -R /usr/share/config /usr/share/config
33
34 (Obviously those control sequences would be color codes in a terminal,
35 and the named directory detail isn't the same as your problem, but it
36 looks like it's the same base issue... now that you figured it out, of
37 course.)
42 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman