From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: New install - basic question
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 18:03:27
1 Paul Stear posted on Sat, 05 Feb 2011 15:45:08 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > I am currently using amd64 2 core processor but now have the chance
4 > to use an intel quad 64 processor.
5 > This might be a silly question but is it best to do a compltly new
6 > install? If so which stage do I download from the following list:-
7 >
8 > alpha: iso stages
9 > amd64: iso stages
10 > arm: stages
11 > hppa: stages
12 > ia64: iso stages
13 > ppc/ppc64: iso stages
14 > s390/s390x: stages
15 > sh: stages
16 > sparc: iso stages
17 > x86: iso stages
18 >
19 > Which chost and cflags should I use?
20
21 Intel em64t (as opposed to the Itanics/Itaniums) is amd64 by another name.
22 So use the amd64 stages if you want 64-bit, or the x86 stages if you want
23 legacy 32-bit. (FWIW, ia64, Intel Arch 64, would be for the Itaniums.
24 Sometimes people get that mixed up, but unless you know you have that
25 hardware, it's pretty safe to assume it's amd64/em64t/x86_64, NOT ia64.)
26
27 Assuming amd64, whether you /have/ to start from fresh stages or can use
28 your existing install, depends on how similar the hardware extensions are,
29 and whether you used -march or -mtune on your previous install. If you
30 used -mtune, the old install should work as it will have used only
31 instruction ordering for your target hardware, with generic instructions.
32 If you used -march, it will have used targeted instructions as well, and
33 may or may not work. You can try it if you like as going older to newer
34 it's likely to work, but really, starting with a new CPU is a good excuse
35 to start fresh, eliminating any possible cruft left over from the old
36 system, so I'd recommend starting from new stages even if the old ones
37 would work, unless you're lazy and simply want to avoid that extra
38 compiling.
39
40 If you want to target the new hardware and are using a new enough gcc (I
41 think the stage supplied one is new enough, now), you can simply use
42 -march=native to take advantage of its instructions. If you'd prefer to
43 have the compiled packages be installable on either machine (say if you
44 run FEATURES=buildpkg to get the binpkgs to do so), but tuned for the new
45 one, use -mtune=native on the new one instead, possibly with -march set
46 for the common subset of both instruction sets, tho you'd of course have
47 to set that subset specifically, which means researching what it is.
48
49 CHOST will normally be the same, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu , unless you're doing
50 something strange or using legacy 32-bit x86 instead of amd64.
55 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman