From: "John C. Shimek" <jcshimek@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Video cards
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 03:17:33
I am running 64bit Gentoo (of course) and looking at upgrading video
cards.  I have an ATI 8500LE right now.  I have that working ok I am
having one problem.  I am trying to use learn Blender.  It crashes at a
certain point due to a bug in Mesa.  There is a bug report for this and
it has been fixed upstream in Mesa 6.3.  I have 6.2 and since that seems
to be bundled in with Xorg, I think, I don't know how to upgrade to a
newer Mesa.  I have tried the Modular Xorg (with Mesa 6.4) but
xorg-server won't build.  I went back to the latest stable one.  I then
tried the ati-drivers.  It compiles, I get direct rendering but X
crashes and complains about unknown symbols.

I am think I just want to get a new card, mine is 4 years old.  I am
thinking nVidia.  I am wondering what is good in the 100-200USD range?
And how good is the support for amd64?  \

Thank you
John C. Shimek
gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list