From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] First Impressions
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:56:28
1 hi,
2
3 On Wednesday 27 September 2006 19:35, Daniel Iliev wrote:
6 > > Don't use that flags. They are bad for amd64. Trust the devs, they know
7 > > better than you or me.
8 >
9 > Thank you very much for this reply. I'll follow your advise and remove
10 > the redundant flags.
11 > About trusting the devs - well, it depends. I trust them 100% if I need
12 > a rock stable system. In that case I would not dare to divert from any
13 > of the official instructions.
14 > BUT. Devs always tent to advertise the safest ways - this brings users
15 > no/less headaches and therefore less bug-reports ;-)
16 > My case however is slightly different - I'm talking about my home
17 > desktop which is dedicated for experiments and fun. So I'm not afraid to
18 > break the system here and rebuild it again. In this particular moment my
19 > purpose is to get the most out of the hardware no matter the stability.
20 > So I'll leave -O3 ;-)
21
22 if you really want to be adventurous, try frename-registers, fpeel-loops, fweb
23 or ftree-vectorize. Or ftracer. But don't complain, if something does not
24 built (I have a set of save flags, just to be able to build freeciv. With my
25 stupid standard flags, gcc will ICE)
26 >
27 > BTW, Everyone,
28 > I'm observing something very interesting:
29 > I was told not to go gentoo-amd64 for it was not stable. I was told not
30 > to migrate because there were still many important programs pending to
31 > be ported. I read almost everywhere about headaches and breakages.
32 > Reading your replies in this thread also suggests strictly following the
33 > official way otherwise - problems.
34 > It is very strange - I was ready to meet tons of major problems but I
35 > haven't met a single one yet. It is my opinion that the possibility of
36 > problems on gentoo-amd64 is highly overrated. I installed it with no
37 > problems, I obviously have tweaked it a lot beyond normal and what I see
38 > is a perfectly working system. It appears that gentoo-amd64 team along
39 > with the GNU, linux-kernel and all other nice guys who provide free/open
40 > source software have done a great work and we owe them BIG THANKS. I
41 > just wonder how come that so many people talk about some non-existing
42 > problems.
43 > How come that still in my first try I have bootstrapped from stage3,
44 > made "emerge -e system", installed xfce4, gnome, firefox, thunderbird,
45 > and a bunch of other packages along with all their dependencies, then
46 > made "emerge -e world" and after all this compiling I had to do "emerge
47 > --resume" only once when some package wanted mysql build with -fpic
48 > flag. I'm I lucky or what? ;-)
51 maybe. When I switched from gcc3 to gcc4 I had to -e world.. and from the
52 hundreds of packages 14 broke. 10 of them package.masked.
53
54 The problem: people with problems are very vocal, while the users without
55 probs are silent.
56
57 So will see always lots of complaints, but almost never success stories.
58
59 I have not any more problems with my ~amd64 system than I had with my ~x86
60 system. I would even postulate, that I have seen less breakage on ~amd64.
61 --
62 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list