From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Can I run a complete desktop remotely?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 00:03:00
1 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> posted pan.2007.05.26.22.20.34@×××.net,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 26 May 2007 22:20:34 +0000:
3
4 > I've not done it and don't know the details of the protocol, so can't
5 > really argue from the practical end, but if it requires that, how'd they
6 > ever do it back in the day, before XFree86, let alone xorg? Back then,
7 > 10Mbps Ethernet would have been fast, 2 Mbps would have been standard,
8 > let alone dialup. Sure, screen sizes were smaller back then, but that
9 > much?
10
11 OK, so I see the answer... single apps with smaller windows, not the
12 entire desktop run remotely. And Conway's point about compression
13 sometimes slowing things down if the CPUs are slow compared to the
14 network makes sense as well. CPU speeds (and now cores) have increased
15 faster than network speeds, I believe, tho I've not done the math on
16 actual years. The network may well have been fast enough for the CPUs,
17 back then.
22 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
25 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list