From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: upgraded system, usb_storage won't autoload
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 06:19:16
1 Michael George <george@××××××××××.com> posted
2 20070126030238.GA28900@××××××××××××.office, excerpted below, on Thu, 25
3 Jan 2007 22:02:38 -0500:
4
5 > I have hotplug-20040923 and udev-087-r1 installed on the system, and I
6 > have not tweaked the udev configs or anything.
7
8 This has been discussed... was it on the desktop list I saw it? The
9 answer is that udev should really be blocking hotplug now, at least in the
10 newer versions (~arch is up to 104-r2, tho it looks like stable amd64 is
11 clear back on 87-r1), but isn't for some reason. Try unmerging hotplug and
12 remerging udev, and see if that solves the issue. It has for others.
13
14 The one thing that you might lose that way is autodetect and early setup
15 of your network, but most folks don't seem to have a problem with that, as
16 it's picked up later in the boot cycle anyway. (The problems in fact seem
17 to generally be that hotplug is trying to setup networking too early, when
18 there is a problem, so again, getting it out of there fixes the problem.)
19
20 In any case, it's not as if hotplug is a long merge, if unmerging it
21 doesn't work for you, but the reports are all good that I've seen, and
22 certainly I've experienced no issues unmerging hotplug here, altho I'm
23 running ~amd64 so likely have newer versions of a lot of stuff than stable
24 amd64 users do.
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
32 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list