From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Upgrading from amd64 to ~amd64.
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:37:18
1 Scott Stoddard posted <43551B8D.7070108@×××××××××××.ca>, excerpted below,
2 on Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:58:05 -0400:
3
4 > Duncan wrote:
5 >> changed USE flags vs what you currently have merged.) After each level
6 >> below, I run etc-update, so the number of pending updates doesn't get out
7 >> of hand. Of course, if the current version of any package later in the
8 >
9 > Of course, during those big emerge jobs, you can opt to run etc-update
10 > in another terminal while the emerge is still progressing. I tend to
11 > use this option to save time sorting through the lists while my machine
12 > _isn't_ doing something more productive.
13
14 /Very/ good point! Me too!
15
16 In fact, with a dual Opteron, one of the things I do with emerge -p is use
17 the --tree switch as well, to see which emerges depend on each other, then
18 run two or three independent emerge sessions at once, to make full use of
19 the CPUs, while running etc-updates and emerge --pretend --changelog and
20 other such stuff in a forth session.
21
22 Yes, portage has the jobs thing, but many emerges don't do parallel jobs
23 all that efficiently, or turn them off because it screws up the compile
24 dependency order for certain packages. Checking for dependencies then
25 doing independent emerge sessions where no dependencies exist overcomes
26 that issue.
27
28 Of course, that only works once one gets past the critical toolchain
29 steps. If you want everything else compiled with the newest gcc, you
30 can't run parallel emerges until gcc itself is merged. However, one can
31 still run etc-update and the like in parallel, even where parallel emerges
32 aren't possible.
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
38 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
42 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list