From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: alsa mixer question
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 15:34:09
1 Hemmann, Volker Armin posted
2 <200511060449.41167.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>, excerpted
3 below, on Sun, 06 Nov 2005 04:49:41 +0100:
4
5 > On Saturday 05 November 2005 19:14, Dmitri Pogosyan wrote:
6 >> As people said your choices are
7 >>
8 >> 1) Use sound card with hardware mixing
9 >> 2) Run sound mixing daemon like esound or arts
10 >> 3) Set up dmix in alsa. I also heard that alsa 1.10 is supposed to
11 >> come with replacement for dmix ?
14 > no, but since a recent version came out, you do not need to setup up dmix. It
15 > should just work out of the box.
16
17 Well... except with stuff that insists on using exclusive mode access.
18 arts is one such "stuff", one of the big reasons folks have such
19 difficulty with it. Use it, and everything else has to play thru arts, or
20 not play at all, when arts is active, even with hardware mixing or dmix.
21
22 At least, that's been my experience, and the arts kcontrol applet
23 (kcmshell arts, or just find it in kcontrol) specifically mentions it DOES
24 use exclusive mode, and that other things won't be able to use sound when
25 it's active.
26
27 Other sound daemons may or may not be equally "selfish".
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
33 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
37 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list