From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: how to track down strange bug
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:43:52
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 20061019234855.64a8d770@××××××××××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Thu,
3 19 Oct 2006 23:48:55 +0100:
4
5 > My microwave stopped working recently, just out of warranty. I had great
6 > fun searching the web for info then pulling the microwave to bits to
7 > diagnose the fault. I was most disappointed to find that a DIY repair of
8 > the problem was too unsafe to consider :(
9
10 I had to buy a new one about a year ago as well. I had actually pulled
11 mine apart before to reset an overheat switch, but the fan/wave-spreader
12 was simply old and had started sticking, and this time the thing
13 overheated and melted some of the plastic mountings. At about 15 years
14 old, I figured it was time to by a new one anyway, and I was right. The
15 new one is far more efficient and more convenient to use, and was
16 surprisingly cheap. I should have thrown the old one away 2-3 years
17 earlier, tho it did still work and wasn't unsafe, just inefficient and
18 more work to continue to use than it was worth, given the cost of a new
19 one.
20
21 At the cost any more, like so much these days, microwave ovens are
22 essentially disposable -- simply not worth repairing.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
30 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list