From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Kernel Config for /proc/self/smaps
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 21:33:17
1 P.V.Anthony posted on Mon, 14 Sep 2009 01:54:53 +0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > Currently configuring kernel version 2.6.26 using "make menuconfig".
4 >
5 > Went to "filesystems" and then to "pseudo filesystems". The "proc" has
6 > already been activated. On this system, I cannot even de-activate the
7 > "proc". I did that for testing.
8 >
9 > Under "proc" there is "/proc/kcore support". That is also activated.
10 >
11 > Tried reading the help for the /proc/kcore but nothing there.
12 >
13 > I can manually set "CONFIG_PROC_PAGE_MONITOR=y" in the ".config" file.
14 >
15 > I would really like to learn how to set this using "make menuconfig".
16 > Please bear with me and guide me on how to set
17 > "CONFIG_PROC_PAGE_MONITOR=y" using "make menuconfig".
18
19 [I've been offline for a week due to using bad memory while trying to
20 flash a BIOS. Naturally it crashed, and I couldn't boot my main
21 machine. I ended up ordering a pre-flashed BIOS chip from two states a
22 way... and waiting the few days for it to ship. I feel like I'm just
23 back from the dead! =:^) ]
24
25 Hmm... perhaps it's elsewhere in the 2.6.26 kernel config. I'm now
26 running 2.6.31, and will be starting on the 2.6.32 rcs in a week or two...
27
28 It's also possible it's turned off and not even available to you due to
29 some other dependency. I'd try tracing it if I hadn't just fallen a week
30 behind, just to see. You can grep "PROC__PAGE_MONITOR" in the kernel
31 sources and see what comes up if you want. That's what I'd do, tho
32 having done stuff like that before I might be better equipped to filter
33 out the uninteresting entries. But you gotta start somewhere. =:^)
38 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman