From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Best Desktop Patchset for kernel
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 20:26:40
1 On Wednesday 05 October 2005 20:01, Olivier Crete wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2005-05-10 at 19:26 +0200, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > ok, coaranm aside - have you EVER seen a dev recommending love- or
6 > > nitro-sources?
7 > >
8 > > [...]
9 > >
10 > > If you want the 'latency enhancement' of nitro, go directly to ck - Con
11 > > Kolivas knows what he does.
12 >
13 > The official party line from Gentoo/AMD64 is that if you use anything
14 > else than gentoo-sources, you are on your own and your bug reports will
15 > be ignored. vanilla-sources may be tolerated since gregkh&co seem to be
16 > doing a good job on the 2.6.x.y series.
17 >
18 > Using nitro or ck or love kernel may very well break your system and the
19 > breakage may not be fixed by simply switching back to gentoo-sources
20 > since it may break anything you have compiled or the content of your
21 > hard disk. If you want to try any of those highly experimental features,
22 > you are on your own. I would personally advise you pick only the
23 > specific features you want and apply them to gentoo sources so you can
24 > track down fast what breaks if you want to help debugging.
25
26 you are telling that the wrong guy - I always use gentoo - or vanilla-sources,
27 because I remember very well the problems of people using nitro/love sources
28 bach in 04.
29
30 Oh, and back in 2003/2004 I tried a lot of different kernels - and believe it
31 or not: at the end, the less patched, the better were the kernels. So I
32 stayed with gentoo or vanilla, because the rest was not better or faster,
33 only more instabil.
34
35 I am pretty much healed from straying around ;)
36 --
37 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list