From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: hald randomly unmounting partitions
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:07:08
1 Paul Colquhoun <paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au> posted
2 200701182302.59291.paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au, excerpted below, on Thu,
3 18 Jan 2007 23:02:59 +1100:
4
5 > For a few months, I have been having problems where some partitions are
6 > being unmounted at odd intervals.
7
8 I waited to see if someone with more knowledge on the subject would
9 post a reply, but I don't see any, so hoping the following is helpful
10 despite my limited knowledge on the subject...
11
12 hal-0.5.7.1-r3 was released yesterday (the day you posted), with a
13 suspend/hibernate bugfix and a pci-ids bugfix, according to the changelog.
14 That doesn't seem to be directly your issue, but with a bit of luck...
15
16 Beyond that, just looking around hal doesn't seem to have a configuration
17 of its own altho there are some examples in /usr/share/doc/hal-<version
18 that may or may not be helpful. They looked interesting, but I didn't
19 see any info on where they should be put to activate them if one did want
20 to run them. I'm not sure that's the issue, however.
21
22 If it were me the next place I'd check would be my KDE or GNOME removable
23 drive configuration. If you thought you were setting it up to manage your
24 CD/DVD/UDB devices and it got misconfigured (either as merged or by you)
25 to treat /all/ mounts as removable... Also, those examples in the
26 documentation mentioned above reminded me an awful lot of the udev
27 configuration stuff, so I'd take a peak at that and see if anything out of
28 place jumped out at me.
29
30 You already mentioned using a wrapper for troubleshooting, which would
31 imply you're decently experienced at it. What about using that wrapper to
32 pause the thing, then doing a ps --forest (or use a GUI tool such as
33 ksysguard to get the process tree), in ordered to figure out what's
34 invoking it? At least then you'd have a better idea what you might need
35 to reconfigure or disable or whatever, to get it to quit trying to unmount
36 your main partitions!
37
38 Hopefully that's of /some/ help, anyway. As I said, I hoped someone with
39 a bit more hal knowledge would reply, but I don't see anything yet, and I
40 /did/ just see the hal update and remembered seeing your post, so decided
41 to mention it at least.
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
49 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list