From: Sebastian Redl <sebastian.redl@×××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: provide net
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:06:47
Dave Crane wrote:

>No, whomever made apache2 "need net" instead of "use net" made the decision >for me (negating the admin). Now, I cannot use apache2 locally with my laptop >without changing rc.conf. > >
This makes me wonder: is there a simple method /for an initscript author/ to make an appplication require *some* sort of network interface, whether that's a loopback or something else, and another application require some non-local network interface? As this discussion shows, some applications (Apache) are useful with only the loopback, while others (NFS, Lisa) are useless without some external network. The net strict checking setting serves no real-world use case that I can see: it allows a system admin to decide whether all net applications on his machine (and there's no fine-grain control) are useful without external network access. This is too general a statement to make a proper decision about. While the final decision whether an application that has some (perhaps limited) functionality with the loopback should launch if that's all that's available should rest with the sysadmin, this must be a per-application setting, and the first decision must come from the maintainer: whether there is anything useful the application can do in the first place. As such, the distinction should exist between need somenet and need extnet . The names are stupid and should change, of course, but you get the idea. The idea, in a way, would be to do away with all the net.* provide special case, and make those net scripts provide one or both of these in the old-fashioned way: net.lo ----- provide somenet net.eth0 -------- provide somenet extnet Definitely not an expert, but the current situation has always struck me as strange. Can someone explain the rationale behind it? Sebastian Redl -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list