From: Nuitari <nuitari@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: modules
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:07:13
1 >> This is why I miss RedHat. I don't want to spend my time customizing
2 >> a kernel then spending more time with trial and error getting just the
3 >> kernel I need. RedHat has a system in place that installs a minimal
4 >> kernal and then loads almost everything else as modules. Genkernel almost
5 >> does what I want but it is always a struggle. The base system always
6 >> loads all the different disk drivers and does not unload the unused ones.
7 >
8 > Absence of autounloading is not a property of gentoo, but of recent kernels.
9 > Somewhere along Linux people decided that unloading unused modules is not
10 > that useful :(
11 >
12 > Am I right, actually ?
13
14 I really don't see the point of going to that much trouble to save a few
15 Kbs of RAM
18 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list