From: Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] firefox-bin crashing a few times every day
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 03:06:56
1 ----- Original Message -----
2 From: "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com>
3 To: <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
4 Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 7:35 PM
5 Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] firefox-bin crashing a few times every day
8 <snip>
9
10 Java:
11 Well worth reading and doing as they tell you:
12 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/java/java-upgrade.xml
13 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/java.xml
14 A major key point the second reference makes, which can be confirmed at the
15 Sun web site, -- There is no java plugin for 64 bit mozilla browsers.
16 Unfortunately nspluginwrapper cannot handle java 32 bit plugins.
17 So--
18 You can run the Konqueror browser which does not need a plugin but uses the
19 java virtual machine directly.
20 You can use mozilla-firefox-bin with emul-linux-x86-java as the java plugin.
21
22 Konqueror worked on your analyze site some months ago; being a gnome I have
23 not retried more recently.
24 I did emerge mozilla-firefox-bin followed by emerging emul-linux-x86-java.
25 Automagically firefox-bin picked up helix(real player), flash, and java
26 plugins. The first two plugins were on board from the actions described
27 earlier which used nspluginwrapper to install them in 64 bit firefox.
28 Firefox-bin displays jsp pages at www.prophet.net very well.
29
30 Were I in your shoes I would do the updating, probably including kernel,
31 unmerge browsers and plugins, do the java references above, emerge
32 firefox-bin, emul-linux-x86-java, realplayer, netscape-flash. Check
33 operation of firefox-bin. If flash failed to load up or fails to work,
34 unmerge it, and use the direct download and manual install method discussed
35 on the download site.
39 > Thanks,
40 > Mark
41 > --