From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Quick rsync backup before changing a RAID
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 18:59:57
1 Hi,
2 I need to change the RAID layout on my home server. This change
3 does _not_ involve the running RAID6 with Gentoo on it (at least at
4 the moment) but only a rather old, large and ill-placed second RAID6
5 that has some _very_ important Virtualbox VMs. Now, I have backup
6 scripts for protecting this stuff, and I use them every night, but
7 I've never had to do a restore so at this point I don't know whether
8 they really work. The files are there (checked by hand anyway) but who
9 knows if permissions or something else might cause a problem so I want
10 to be extra careful.
11
12 Today, I created a new backup USB drive and want to do an rsync to
13 that drive as a second backup. I intend to restore from this drive
14 later today when the RAIDs are rebuilt and ready to go. I'd like some
15 ideas on best practices for using rsync to do this job.
16
17 My current scripts use this basic format:
18
19 mark@c2RAID6 ~ $ cat ./DoBackups
20 mount /backups
21 rsync -avx /VirtualMachines/VMWare/. /backups/VMWare
22 rsync -avx /VirtualMachines/Virtualbox/. /backups/Virtualbox
23 rsync -avx /home/. /backups/home
24 cd
25 umount /backups
26 mark@c2RAID6 ~ $
27
28 I'm wondering whether -avx is what others would use or whether
29 there's a better set of options.
30
31 When the RAID comes back up I want to reverse and copy back from
32 USB drive to the /VirtualMachines directory.
33
34 Thanks in advance,
35 Mark