From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How to install to a RAID set?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 11:19:48
1 On Wednesday 17 May 2006 12:47, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > Well, I tried the Software-RAID-HOWTO, and used a SuSE 9.3 DVD I had
4 > lying around to create /dev/md0 to /dev/md5 on the /dev/sd[ab] disks
5 > that are attached to the SATA interface. SuSE installed just fine and
6 > is happy to run on these devices.
7 >
8 > In spite of that, when I boot the Gentoo 2006.0 installation CD and
9 > tell it:
10 >
11 > gentoo dodmraid dmraid=-ay
12 >
13 > It says in the boot sequence:
14 >
15 > Activating Device-Mapper RAID(s)
16 > No RAID disks
17 >
18 > Then when the image has booted, I say fdisk -l and I see the
19 > partitions on /dev/sda and /dev/sdb with no trace of /dev/mdX.
20 >
21 > What am I doing wrong?
22 >
23 > Meanwhile I'll have a play with your scripts, Robert, and see if that
24 > gets me anywhere - thanks.
25
26 This used to confuse me as well - from what I understand, MD raid (the
27 one you set up with SuSE) and DM raid (the one you are trying to use
28 with gentoo) are very different beasts. MD raid is the classic plain
29 software raid (the one you set up using the software-raid howto), while
30 DM raid (aka ataraid, biosraid, bios-assisted raid, and other similar
31 names) uses the device mapper and is used mainly to be able to use raid
32 volumes (often created under windows) that lie on disks attached to
33 firmware-raid cards.
34 These cards come with drivers (usually windows-only and proprietary) that
35 emulate a hw-raid, so that windows can see the array as a single drive.
36 Nevertheless, it's still an emulated (in software+firmware) hw-raid,
37 meaning that a real os (like linux) will see the single physical drives,
38 unless some kind of workaround (like DMraid) is in place, and even then
39 I would not put my valuable data on it. That's why I (and others as
40 well) suggest using plain MD software raid.
41
42 See here:
43 http://people.redhat.com/~heinzm/sw/dmraid/readme
44
45 and, for the gentoo part
46 http://tienstra4.flatnet.tudelft.nl/~gerte/gen2dmraid/
47 (read the "What can I do with the LiveCD / dmraid?" section)
48
49 Hope this helps.
50 --
51 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list