From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Upgrading from amd64 to ~amd64.
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 03:18:08
1 Yeah, it probably isn't much different from doing that. I run a sort
2 of mixed environment - ~amd64 where I need it, along with ~x86
3 sometimes, and then amd64 everywhere else.
4
5 I question whether you should look at it as an 'upgrade' though. I
6 don't. I consider it sort of a 'side grade'. It's not that ~amd64 is
7 really 'better' in all cases. I view it as more of a tool to be used
8 when it's needed. I go sideways into ~amd64 when certain apps seem to
9 require me to do that. Other than that I feel fine with amd64.
10
11 I would NOT do it in any global way. ALL times I use ~amd64 I do it
12 within /etc/portage/package.keywords. Much easier to manage.
13
14 That's just me....
15
16 Cheers,