From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Fragmentation (Was: Re: Re: Re: Wow! KDE 3.5.1 & Xorg 7.0 w/ Composite)
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:29:29
1 Gavin Seddon wrote:
2 > From reading these posts I have sorted out
3 > 'other' issues that are off list. Namely [...] creating a
4 > partition for /usr/portage to 'aid' fragmentation.
5
6 I did that some time ago in a simple-minded fashion, but I've had to revise
7 my layout somewhat. I had an ext3 partition solely for /usr/portage, and it
8 was mounted on that node, but every emerge --sync deleted the /lost+found
9 directory. I don't know how serious that is, but of course no-one likes to
10 have damaged file systems on their boxes, so I used tune2fs -c to set the
11 mount count to 1 so that it was repaired every time the box booted, but that
12 was taking too long and it was only a palliative anyway. The solution was
13 easy, though of course I didn't see it at first! I only had to point
14 /usr/portage to /usr-bits/portage (/usr-bits being the mount point of the
15 partition) instead of mounting the partition directly in place.
16
17 A word of caution for anyone considering adopting Duncan's scheme without
18 much thought: what he says is certainly good sense, but don't go copying him
19 if you're just splitting out bits of the file system that can be made common
20 to different running systems. I spent half of last night exploring some of
21 the snags! My aim was to separate some large slabs of files into their own
22 partitions and mount those partitions on whichever system I was booting. I
23 have four Linux systems multibooting on this box, and it seems tidy to find
24 common areas and treat them as such.
25
26 Don't combine systems' /var/log directories - you will end up with deeply
27 troubled emerge.log and PORT_LOGDIR records.
28
29 Don't combine systems' /usr/src directories. It won't do much harm, but the
30 records of which kernel version is installed in each system will cause
31 overwriting anyway, thus spoiling the idea, especially if you have
32 USE=symlink for gentoo-sources.
33
34 I'm not yet sure of the wisdom of combining /var/tmp from different systems:
35 I haven't yet sorted out the consequences for the portage work directories.
36 Watch this space.
37
38 Apologies if I'm not making much sense today - blame the loss of sleep and
39 the head cold that probably caused it :-(
42 Rgds
43 Peter.
44 --
45 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list