From: Alex Bennee <alex@××××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>, Gentoo Users <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] ldconfig breaks my system
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 12:34:15

Applogies for the cross-post. I'm unsure if this is and amd64 specific
problem or a more general b0rkage.

I've posted about my failing glibc emerges before:

I think I've narrowed it down to ldconfig running during the emerge. In
fact at the moment any time I run ldconfig it breaks the system so that
I cannot spawn any new shells (they segfault straight away). I can
restore my system by untaring a rescue glibc binary.

Can anyone give me any hints on how to diagnose the problem with
ldconfig and why things stop working when its done?

I'm currently building a parallel world on a second partition (in a
chrooted environment) to see if there are any differences between the
two setups (i.e a subtle breakage occured and was never picked up).

Alex, homepage:
It destroys one's nerves to be amiable every day to the same human
being. -- Benjamin Disraeli