From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Correct -march in make.conf
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 18:41:34
1 On Monday 18 December 2006 19:06, Mark Haney wrote:
2
3 > I've been using -mcpu since I started using gentoo, but have been
4 > noticing the '-mcpu is deprecated etc.' messages when updating. Being
5 > the paranoid I am, I'd like to get rid of those, but haven't found the
6 > correct option to use for -march. Is it the same as -mcpu? Or what's
7 > the correct one for amd64?
8
9 You can use -mtune in place of -mcpu. If you don't need binary
10 compatibility with other CPUs, you should use -march. Speaking of
11 which...that really depends. "amd64" means a lot of CPUs, including AMD
12 and Intel models. What's your CPU?
13
14 According to [1], you should set -march=k8 for AMD CPUs (non-EM64T)
15 and -march=nocona for Intel ones (EM64T). But, for AMD athlon64 X2, you
16 can also use -march=athlon64. [2] is a good reference, IMHO.
17
18 If you want to optimize further, the forums have lots of threads devoted
19 to CFLAGS optimization.
20
21 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml#cflags
22 [2] http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags