From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] KDE 4.1.2 and portage questions
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 20:25:43
1 On Monday 06 October 2008 14:21:45 Mark Haney wrote:
2 > I've just finished reading the latest Gentoo documentation relating to
3 > moving KDE4.1 to the main tree. The 'kdeprefix' USE flag I get so
4 > that's not a problem, but now I have some questions, I hope someone can
5 > answer them.
6 >
7 > Has KDE4.1 moved to the main tree yet? Or is it upcoming? If I
8 > understand the doc correctly, if I ude the 'kdeprefix' use flag I can
9 > still move between kde 3.5 and kde4, right? I know if I use it that I
10 > can move between minor versions of KDE4 with it, but how does that work
11 > between 3.5 and 4? AS it is now I can switch easily.
12
13 It has been moved to the main tree but is currently masked. We are working out
14 a few remaining issues before unmasking it. Whether you use the kdeprefix use
15 flag *or not* you can still switch between KDE 3.5 and 4.1. Both ways of
16 installing KDE 4.1 support this. The only real benefit you get with using
17 kdeprefix is being able to switch between 4.1/4.2 etc. 3.5 and 4 are easy to
18 move between both ways.
19 >
20 > The documentation mentions moving from the kde-testing overlay, but I've
21 > been getting my ebuilds from the kdesvn-portage overlay. I assume the
22 > directions are the same regardless of the overlay used?
23
24 Pretty much but all of our testing has been taking place in the kde testing
25 overlay.
26 >
27 > I'd like to hear from someone who's moved to 4.1.2 and tell me of their
28 > experience with it before I make the jump. What were the steps you took
29 > and how painless was it?
30
31 I am biased and so will leave this to others to answer. I do however have KDE
32 4.1.2 installed -kdeprefix, i.e. in /usr and am able to use KDE 3.5, 4.1.2 and
33 an SVN head version (live builds will always be slottable with -kdeprefix
34 too).
35 >
36 > If I had a spare box free I'd tinker with it myself, but I'm bus testing
37 > new software and can't use it at the moment.
38 >
39 > I'd appreciate any info you have.
40
41 If there is stuff in the KDE docs missing let us know. We want them to be as
42 clear as possible.
43
44 Thanks,
45