From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] eth device vanished
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 20:44:37
1 On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Barry Schwartz
2 <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > Incidentally I have my ethernet devices configured with some udev
4 > rules to assign specific names to the given mac addresses, and I use
5 > static routing. This is for an ordinary desktop computer. I view the
6 > automatic stuff as useful to get going in a hurry, but for long term
7 > nothing beats taking as much control as possible.
8
9 I think the real pain with udev and network interfaces is the
10 limitation in linux (well, unix) that allows only one name for any
11 particular interface. Udev symlinks for device nodes can be quite
12 handy (/dev/disk/...), and normally they can just add new symlinks
13 without messing with the old ones. I think plan9 made network
14 interfaces part of the filesystem, but I'm not quite sure how they
15 went about it - if network interfaces were just device nodes then we'd
16 be able to have the best of both worlds.
17
18 Rich