From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Disable fsck on boot, was: How to make watchdog start earlier during bootup?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:27:21
1 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
2 d257c3560901221103l4f11f220mc9f2b7598f7c3413@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Thu, 22 Jan 2009 20:03:55 +0100:
4
5 > as for the / i'm considering using / + /boot on a usb disk (nowadays
6 > booting from usb devices is no pain) and would prevent me from
7 > exposing ciphered luks data. it's true that loosing the key would
8 > mean a total disaster, but it's simpler to have 2-3 2gb usb keys (which
9 > mean about 20-30€) as root and have an entire luks+raided partition.
10
11 Something I found out the hard way, and why I have everything that
12 portage touches on the same partition, is the trouble one goes thru when
13 the /var/db/pkg database doesn't match what's actually installed, due to
14 say /, /usr, and /var being on different partitions/volumes, then losing
15 one and having to revert to a backup, while still having the others at
16 "current".
17
18 So here, that's all on the same partition. I break off /usr/src,
19 /usr/local and /var/log, and have the Gentoo tree living somewhere other
20 than on /usr as well, but anything that portage touches including its
21 database is all on the same partition, so it all stays in sync if I have
22 to revert to a backup.
23
24 When I setup this system, since / and its backup are not in LVM, I wanted
25 to give them even more room for growth than I thought I'd need, so I
26 doubled what I was using for growth, and then nearly doubled that again,
27 10 gig partition size. I currently have both kde3 and kde4 installed so
28 am running rather more than I would otherwise, but I'm running 4.3 gig
29 on /. So a 4 gig USB stick would do it in most cases, an 8-gig stick
30 would be plenty and to spare, but a 2 gig stick wouldn't cut it.
31
32 Not that anyone else necessarily needs to use my "everything portage
33 touches on one partition" strategy, but I certainly learned /my/ lesson,
34 and don't intend on screwing /that/ one up here again. It's worth
35 considering, anyway. YMMV.
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman