From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KISS firewall not working on Gentoo Hardened
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 23:32:47
1 Sebastian Redl <sebastian.redl@×××××××××××.at> posted
2 4705370A.4010709@×××××××××××.at, excerpted below, on Thu, 04 Oct 2007
3 20:55:06 +0200:
4
5 > Configuring this is easy enough in IPTables (I did learn them somewhat,
6 > out of interest, though I've forgotten a lot, too), but it's really,
7 > really easy in shorewall.
8
9 Interestingly, shorewall was one I tried... and got frustrated with. It
10 has likely improved since then, but that much? The other possibility is
11 that I was trying something a bit more advanced than what you need, and
12 too advanced for it (back then?).
13
14 > In all the years I've used Gentoo now, I can only say that I'm highly
15 > satisfied with the program. The only negative point I can find is that
16 > it always wants to overwrite all the configuration files on an upgrade.
17
18 Try setting INSTALL_MASK appropriately in make.conf, set to the shorewall
19 subdir or whatever. I've never actually used this portage feature, but
20 it's supposed to work quite well. The effect would be that anything that
21 matched wouldn't be installed. It's the usual recommendation from the
22 portage devs for stuff like that. (I've been thinking about trying it
23 for *.la files, since the way they work is a pain for Gentoo users and I
24 read of someone doing it to good effect, but I've not gotten around to it
25 yet.)
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
33 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list