From: Peter Hoff <petehoff@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Gentoo crashing?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 13:02:07
1 Just because Memtest86 went 30% without failure does not mean your RAM is 30% OK. It should run for at least a full loop, and I typically run it for at least 2 loops (though only once have I seen a system suddenly start spewing errors it didn't have during the first loop, and I've run it on a lot of systems). It does take a while, so you probably don't want to sit around watching it. I usually let it run overnight while I sleep.
4 ----- Original Message ----
5 From: Peter Davoust <worldgnat@×××××.com>
6 To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
7 Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 2:08:42 PM
8 Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Gentoo crashing?
9
10 Ok, so I compiled a new kernel, and it seemed to work. I booted the new kernel, I was able to unzip and install dhcpcd, ndiswrapper, wireless-tools, and cab extract. Then, once the wireless was working, I tried emerge --search dhcpcd, because gentoo apparently doesn't like my manually configured dhcpcd.... CRASH! I ran memtest86+, as suggested, and it got to at least 30% without a failure. I'll try it again, but at least 30% of my memory is in tact. I'll try to emerge some other things, and see how it goes.
13 -Peter
14