From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: OFF-TOPIC but ... you will lough !!!
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 05:12:34
1 Billy Holmes posted <436A6226.7060206@××××××.net>, excerpted below, on
2 Thu, 03 Nov 2005 14:16:54 -0500:
3
4 > Herman Roozenbeek wrote:
5 >> The same goes for me... But I really can't believe that nobody at
6 >> Microsoft knows why this is so. Unless Linux-users know more about
7 >> Microsoft's history than Microsoft itself does. ;-)
8 >
9 > I have several theories:
10 >
11 > (1) they want to forget about DOS, and want us to do the same
12 > (2) command line? What's that? "nothing to see here, move along."
13 > (3) MS programmers may have finally attained that status where they are
14 > so removed from the inner workings of the OS through higher level
15 > languages that true OS wizardy is only held by a select few.
16
17 I'd say it's #3. Remember, MS is (unfortunately still, tho I wouldn't
18 object if it were hardware only, or the software were all make GPL
19 compatible open source) a living corporation, with a non-zero employee
20 turnover rate, and like any large corporation, is highly departmented,
21 such that the right hand often doesn't know what the left hand is doing
22 (and even less, what they did a decade ago).
23
24 It's likely that few actually doing the coding now were around for the
25 days of MSDOS, and while some remember 9x, they coded GUI, not command
26 line DOS, for it. While 9x was still DOS based and had a semi-decent DOS
27 command line, even at that point, it would have been the old veterans
28 doing the coding for it, while the vast majority including all the new
29 guys did GUI only.
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
35 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
39 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list