From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: OFF-TOPIC but ... you will lough !!!
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 05:12:34
Billy Holmes posted <436A6226.7060206@××××××.net>, excerpted below,  on
Thu, 03 Nov 2005 14:16:54 -0500:

> Herman Roozenbeek wrote: >> The same goes for me... But I really can't believe that nobody at >> Microsoft knows why this is so. Unless Linux-users know more about >> Microsoft's history than Microsoft itself does. ;-) > > I have several theories: > > (1) they want to forget about DOS, and want us to do the same > (2) command line? What's that? "nothing to see here, move along." > (3) MS programmers may have finally attained that status where they are > so removed from the inner workings of the OS through higher level > languages that true OS wizardy is only held by a select few.
I'd say it's #3. Remember, MS is (unfortunately still, tho I wouldn't object if it were hardware only, or the software were all make GPL compatible open source) a living corporation, with a non-zero employee turnover rate, and like any large corporation, is highly departmented, such that the right hand often doesn't know what the left hand is doing (and even less, what they did a decade ago). It's likely that few actually doing the coding now were around for the days of MSDOS, and while some remember 9x, they coded GUI, not command line DOS, for it. While 9x was still DOS based and had a semi-decent DOS command line, even at that point, it would have been the old veterans doing the coding for it, while the vast majority including all the new guys did GUI only. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: OFF-TOPIC but ... you will lough !!! Taka John Brunkhorst <antiwmac@×××××.com>