From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: building emul-linux-x86 files
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 02:41:08
1 "Andy Wang" <dopey74@×××××.com> posted
2 17dc8bc70804231739jc6f8adcr7eb1b5daf33bda7b@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Wed, 23 Apr 2008 19:39:32 -0500:
4
5 > Just wanted to follow up on this e-mail from a while ago.&nbsp; Any new
6 > progress on creating documentation for how gentoo builds it&#39;s
8 > class="gmail_quote">On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 3:52 PM, Andy Wang &lt;<a
9 > href="mailto:dopey74@×××××.com">dopey74@×××××.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
10 > <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204,
11 > 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><div
12 > class="Ih2E3d">On Nov 23, 2007 12:10 PM, Mike Doty &lt;<a
13 > href="mailto:kingtaco@g.o">kingtaco@g.o</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
14
15 If you'd kill the HTML next time, some of us would be grateful. Not
16 everyone here likes webmail, and HTML based messages can be a security
17 issue, so some of us choose not to enable it or use clients that handle
18 it. Thanks.
19
20 I don't have a direct answer to your question, but FWIW if I were doing
21 it...
22
23 I'd use the 32-bit chroot (or build on a 32-bit machine) and use
24 FEATURES=buildpkg so all the packages ended up as tbz2 binaries.
25
26 For individual cases that should be enough on the build side. On the
27 binary package consumer, I'd use a 32-bit chroot again (to keep the 32-
28 bit packages tracked separately from the 64-bit ones) and either emerge
29 a more or less full system or use package.provided and/or --nodeps when
30 merging individual packages if I chose not to do the full 32-bit system.
31
32 For something more suitable for general distribution, IOW, usable
33 directly from the main system's portage/other-pm, I'd use the binaries
34 created in the first step as the "sources", and build an ebuild script
35 wrapper around them to untar and install them manually (and to an
36 appropriately different location for libs, or name for executables, than
37 the 64-bit stuff), while tracking them using emul- (or similar) to keep
38 them separate from the 64-bit packages of the otherwise same name. The
39 same skeleton untar and install script could be used for all such
40 packages, with specific extra configuration, etc. attached as necessary.
41
42 That seems fairly straightforward and would the existing portage binary
43 package capabilities, but is obviously not quite the method they took, as
44 they have more generalized packages that include binaries (libraries,
45 etc) from multiple normal packages. The advantage of doing it as above,
46 however, would be that the generic wrapper ebuild script could be simply
47 renamed as appropriate to use with 32-bit packages other than those
48 currently supplied.
49
50 As I said, FWIW... It may or may not be suitable for your purposes.
55 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
58 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list