From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: paludis Was: glibc-2.6.1 cpu error
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 09:48:01
1 2007/10/19, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
2 >
3 > Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
4 > d257c3560710190236q3de96984h39a5a092c30b4528@××××××××××.com, excerpted
5 > below, on Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:36:53 +0200:
6 >
7 > >> Talking about which... does paludis have proper binary package support
8 > >> yet? [...] Portage's FEATURES=buildpkg is my favorite underdocumented
9 > >> power-user portage feature
10 >
11 > > i don't know of that option being supported. i currently use the 0.24.6
12 > > from august and that don't seem to list that feature. what does that
13 > > feature in portage?!
14 >
15 > Simply put, it automatically creates tarballed binary packages every time
16 > it emerges something, storing those binary packages by default in
17 > $PORTDIR/packages. That way, should you ever need to remerge that
18 > package-version (say on another machine if you have more than one, or if
19 > you need to revert to an old version because the new version you just
20 > merged doesn't work for some reason), you can do so using emerge --
21 > usepackage (or --usepackageonly), and it'll grab the binary package you
22 > created the first time, merging it much faster since it doesn't have to
23 > recompile anything.
24 >
25 > IOW, except for the first time you merge a package, it's as if you were
26 > using a binary distribution, except you created and customized the
27 > binaries yourself, using Gentoo's usual features. Of course, the first
28 > time, the package is compiled as it normally is, so there's no direct
29 > advantage there -- but it can still be useful.
30 >
31 > Obviously, the folks that will get the most use out of this are the folks
32 > running several similarly configured machines, same USE flags, etc, since
33 > they can then compile once and merge the same binary package on all their
34 > machines. However, it's quite useful even if you run only a single
35 > machine, as I do here. As I said, it's helpful if you need to remerge a
36 > package for some reason. I've reinstalled from my binpkgs once after a
37 > problem with disk corruption, and it goes MUCH faster. Also, because the
38 > packages are basically tar.bz2s with a bit of extra metadata glued onto
39 > the end, they can be browsed with your favorite archiver (I use mc, as I
40 > do for many of my sysadmin tasks), and it's easy to retrieve just a
41 > single file, say a config file you screwed up and want to start over
42 > with. The binpkgs are also useful for comparing the contents of packages
43 > between versions -- I've filed and had fixed a couple bugs because new
44 > versions ended up missing some file or another, for some reason, caught
45 > because once I figured out something was wrong, it was easy to compare
46 > the files in an older working version with the files in the newer broken
47 > version.
48 >
49 > The format also allows one to fix a broken portage or python. Consider
50 > how you'd emerge a package if your package manager is broken. With
51 > automatically created tarballs, it's easy. Simply backup any config
52 > files you want to save, and untar the working version directly on top of
53 > the live root filesystem. (Or, if it's /really/ broken, and tar and/or
54 > bzip2 are dead as well, boot your recovery disk and use the tar and bzip2
55 > from there to do the job.)
56 >
57 > The metadata glued onto the tarball includes the ebuild itself, and that
58 > can also be handy. What do you do if you use a package that gets removed
59 > from the tree (for example, xmms)? Well, as long as you still have the
60 > binpkg around, you still have a copy of the ebuild, and can copy it to
61 > your overlay and continue to use it from there, even rebuilding if
62 > necessary (say if you upgrade gcc), even after the copy in the tree is
63 > long gone.
64 >
65 > So it's not just the binary packages, useful enough in their role as
66 > backups as it is, but the fact that the data in those packages can still
67 > be accessed with ordinary tools like tar and bzip2, that makes portage's
68 > binpkgs so useful. If an alternative package manager supported binpkgs,
69 > I'd hope it used something equally accessible with standard tools.
72 this could be an interesting feature and could have you do a full system
73 backup.
74
75 > i'm using paludis for a speed reason. portage is really really slow and
76 > > it makes you die before determining deps. it's awful in that terms.
77 >
78 > I've found that to be true only for the first "cold cache" run, when it
79 > has to read everything in from disk. Once the data is in cache, portage
80 > is MUCH faster. With a gig of memory, it should be in cache pretty much
81 > as long as you are using it, tho if you go a few days between using
82 > portage, or if you reboot, the data will probably be flushed from cache
83 > and need to be read in from slow disk once again. With a couple gigs,
84 > it's likely you'll only have to do that initial portage run once, and
85 > after that it'll remain in memory until the next reboot. With the 8 gigs
86 > of memory I have... lets just say I normally don't worry about it, tho
87 > that first emerge --pretend world I run does take a bit. Of course,
88 > syncing also takes a bit, but that's not too terribly often either,
89 > compared to the number of times you might actually run emerge in a
90 > session.
91 >
92 > So speed isn't the problem for me it is for some.
95 i have a notebook that i usually shut down more than 3-4 times/day and the
96 chache problem for me is fundamental. i don't have to wait for portage
97 almost 7minutes for a world preview update while paludis does it in less
98 than 2min.
99
100 > i
101 > > foud out paludis which has a great speed and that seems to give a lot of
102 > > debug infos and that has a more modular approach when compared to
103 > > portage. the last useful thing is that i with portage i used to get some
104 > > times compilation errors that would go away when resuming; this thing
105 > > don't happen almost anytime with paludis.
106 >
107 > The more modular is of course good on its own merits, as is faster, tho I
108 > explained that's not a big problem for me here. As for compilation
109 > errors, I don't tend to get any of those that go away on resume, altho
110 > there was a bit of an order resolving problem in ~arch portage for a few
111 > months that caused a few issues. However, I'm pretty religious about
112 > running --newuse and --deep (both run by default on my --update world
113 > runs), and --depclean and revdep-rebuild as well. That likely has a lot
114 > to do with it, as my dependencies are going to be quite a bit cleaner
115 > than someone who doesn't routinely practice "good package hygiene". =8^)
116 >
117 > In any case, as I said, unless a package manager has good binary package
118 > support, there's little chance of me seriously considering it. Thus the
119 > question, since the lack of such binary package support is what ended my
120 > initial paludis investigation back then. Of course, different strokes
121 > for different folks and all that, and what works so well for me may
122 > indeed be intolerable for you, so as they say, YMMV.
125 fortunately i still run both packages and have paludis --report the state of
126 the system then portage to depclean and see if there are differences. i
127 didn't find to have problems of orphaned or other problems of package
128 management. the one interesting function that i'd like to test is the
129 parallel compilation feature, which i happened to find by chance in the
130 forum. a patch that allows portage to compile more packages at the same time
131 if the second package compiled does not trigger an installation of the first
132 one. for example i could compile gimp and knetworkmanager at the same time
133 if i had a good processor.
136 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
137 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
138 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
139 >
140 > --
141 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
147 dott. ing. beso