From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 21:03:58
On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 09:03:59 -0700 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote: > >> >>    I hadn't played with this since you first posted but I've been >> waiting for a new nvidia-driver to solve the problem and not seen it. >> As my laptop uses vanilla-sources I was stuck but also not really >> wanting to do the patch you did. >> > > It's not much of a patch.  It involves only copying a few files > from one directory to another.  Apparently, these files are > auto-generated by the new kernel and placed in the wrong location > (wrong for Nvidia). > >> >> Anyway, for kicks this morning I tried gentoo-sources-3.3.0 and >> found that nvidia-drivers builds & runs fine with that kernel. >> > > Out of habit, I still use the kernel sources from > I have an automated build/install for this from a long time > back.  But maybe I'll look into the gentoo-sources one day. > Thanks for the tip. >
Ah, so you operate independently as well as outside of the world of portage do you?!? Shame! ;-) Anyway, I don't much know what the Gentoo devs do to patch gentoo-sources. I've gone back and forth between the two at different times. One reason to stick with gentoo-sources is that vanilla-sources (and presumably source directly from isn't supported by Gentoo Security. Not sure how important that is to an individual though.
> However, checking the Changelog for gentoo-sources I do not > see any indication of a possible patch to fix 3.3.0.  Maybe > I'm just not looking in the right place. >
Dunno. I can only report that my laptop seems happy with gentoo-source-3.3.0 + nvidia-drivers-295.20-r1. Frame rate is OK. No weird messages so far in dmesg. Nothing much else to report. Have fun, Mark
> Frank Peters > >

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>