From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Systemd migration: opinion and questions
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 21:51:19
1 On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 21:15:45 +0100
2 Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
5 > I liked systemd enough to want to switch my desktop to it before I
6 > managed to finish writing this. And holy crap, Duncan was right: systemd is
7 > *so* *fast* on an SSD, it's just not funny. It takes *3 seconds* after the
8 > kernel boots for me to get a login screen
11 It requires about just as long (3 secs) on my desktop machine *without*
12 systemd by just using my custom bash init script (no sysvinit or openrc either).
13 Furthermore, I use no SSD.
14
15 But there's also no login required so it's probably even faster -- and
16 there's also no long list of permanently running daemons as well.
17 (After a boot, ps ax shows a very sparse process list.)
18
19 For me, systemd is totally unnecessary, excessively burdensome, and
20 highly obfuscating to a complete control and understanding of my
21 system.
22
23 To each his own. If you want/need it, fine. But don't expect me,
24 or everyone else, to slavishly follow.
25
26 As has been more or less officially stated, systemd is an attempt to
27 provide a uniform and monolithic kernel-user space interface FOR THE
28 BENEFIT OF POTENTIAL (COMMERCIAL) SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS. RedHat wants
29 Linux to be just like MS Windows so that *they* (RedHat) can be just
30 like MS Windows.
31
32 Let RedHat leave (fork) the Linux community and go their own separate
33 way.
34
35 Maybe it's time to begin shifting a lot more attention to Gentoo/FreeBSD.
36
37 Frank Peters