From: Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Managing CPU usage when doing emerges
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 12:09:40
1 Alex Alexander wrote:
2
3 > you would need a separate partition for /var/tmp/portage with special
4 > settings to be safe... even then, if you can afford the ram, tmpfs is
5 > probably a better solution.
8 I use such settings on my machine all the time, with no problems
9 whatsoever until now.
10 It just requeires a little attention when rebooting ( have to wait about
11 a minute for machine to start booting at the end of the shutdown) and
12 even then only files that have been modified or written are ones at risk.
13
14 With notebook, power failure is much less of concern, so risks are much
15 lower.
16
17 > disk io is one of the worst bottlenecks in today's systems...
18 > no disk io > * =]
21 Which is more or less ext4 performance if files remain in RAM. When
22 memory pressure increases, ext4 wil just start writing to the files,
23 which can actually be faster than tmpfs <--> swap transfers...