From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: trouble creating an ext3 filesystem > 8TB
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 06:07:08
1 Joshua Hoblitt <jhoblitt@××××××××××.edu> posted
2 20070410211253.GA24125@××××××××××.edu, excerpted below, on Tue, 10 Apr
3 2007 11:12:53 -1000:
4
5 > After looking through various patches that were posted to LKML, I
6 > discovered that passing "-F" to mke2fs seems to make this work as
7 > expected. However, this behavior seems to be undocumented and that
8 > makes me more then a little nervous.
9 >
10 > The resulting filesystem does seem to be mountable:
11 >
12 > /dev/sda4 11T 173M 11T 1% /export/ipp003.0
13 >
14 > Is this feature undocumented for a reason or is it just unsupported?
15
16 Hmm... no clue about e2fs (reiserfs here), but -F = force, so yeah, I can
17 see why you'd be rather uncomfortable using it.
18
19 >From following the various kernel articles on LWN, including some eXfs
20 ones (X=2/3/4), I could strongly speculate that they are doing it to
21 enable backward compatibility. Since the 16 T support is so new, they
22 don't enable it by default, thus allowing older kernels to boot the
23 resulting filesystems as well. If one knows what they are doing and
24 presumably knows not to try to load the filesystems with older kernels
25 that can't properly handle 16 T partitions, there's the force switch to
26 enable it, but it doesn't do it by default to ensure backward
27 compatibility by default.
28
29 However, that would be simply speculation, altho I'd like to think it's
30 at least somewhat informed speculation. It's your data and your risk if
31 I'm wrong, not mine, so feel free to treat this as worth exactly what you
32 paid for it, zero. =8^)
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
40 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list