From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Emerge and Tmpfs
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 15:58:13
1 On Dienstag 07 Juli 2009, Frank Peters wrote:
2 > After reading through the thread on this list about the benefits
3 > of mounting PORTAGE_TMPDIR as tmpfs, I decided that I will be doing
4 > this mount from now on. My total RAM is 4G, but since I only "emerge
5 > world" about once per week, I can easily set aside temporarily 2G or more
6 > for this purpose.
7 >
8 > However, after doing some more reading, I find that some people recommend
9 > mounting tmpfs using the option nr_inodes=1M, while others just accept
10 > the default value for nr_inodes.
11 >
12 > To me, setting maximum inodes to 1M seems a bit high. Can emerge actually
13 > generate that many temporary files? Would it be safer and also avoid
14 > swapping to set nr_inodes=1M or is the default good enough?.
15 >
16 > Frank Peters
17
18 I am using tempfs for a long time now - and I never set nr_inodes.
19
20 tmpfs /var/tmp/portage tmpfs rw,size=4G 0 0
21 tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,size=1G 0 0
22
23 (I have 6gb ram)