From: felix@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Update config files
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 23:50:18
On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 04:14:03PM -0500, Mark Haney wrote:
> What's the best way to update config files? I am a big fan of RH's > method of dealing with them, and can't stand the way Debian does it, so > how do the majority of Gentoo users manage their config files?
Don't know how RedHat or Debian do it, don't know how the majority of gentoo users do it. What I do is use RCS on any config file I modify, or if I look at it and would have modified it except it happens, by chance, to include the parameters I want. Most config files are so general purpose that I don't care, such as /etc/init.d/*. When I started, I was not aware of the gentoo update programs, so I use my own little script, which searches for ._cfg files which correspond to RCS controlled files, and use diff or emacs emerge-* facilities to compare and update. The whole process takes maybe 5 minutes in a heavy week. Once in a while, some package will have a major re-org and it takes longer to copy changes, but it is not difficult, and these major changes would take longer under any system. My major inherent assumption is that if I haven't put a file under RCS control, I don't care what changes an update makes. -- ... _._. ._ ._. . _._. ._. ___ .__ ._. . .__. ._ .. ._. Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@×××××××.com GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933 I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
[gentoo-amd64] Re: Update config files Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>