From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: grub and glibc won't build on my new install
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:24:11
1 Randy Barlow posted on Sat, 23 Jan 2010 17:12:48 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > Man, I'm getting frustrated now. I just went and got the latest stage 3,
4 > and it still fails to install grub with the same problem. I don't really
5 > need the multilib setup, so I suppose I will try to no-multilib profile,
6 > but it is frustrating that this won't work for me. Thanks for the help
7 > Duncan, and I'll post back when I get it all running. This is my first
8 > KVM Gentoo setup...
9
10 Note that there's also grub-static, which is what is used if you run no-
11 multilib and thus can't compile grub. Grub-static is basically a
12 binpkged version of grub, that they ship pre-built, for those 64-bit-only
13 folks who don't have a 32-bit compiler to build grub with.
14
15 If you're on the fence about multilib, try grub-static first.
16
17 (Actually, the thought occurs to me that I'm not sure how VMs boot, do
18 they need grub at all, or can the host load the kernel into the VM
19 directly and set it running, in effect functioning as the boot-loader?
20 Or maybe they use something like the DOS based loadln? I don't know.
21 But presumably you're following a HOWTO of some kind and it says use
22 grub?)
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman