From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Choice of processor timer frequency?
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 15:13:09
1 Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> skribis:
2 > It's just occurred to me to question this kernel configuration option, which
3 > is under Processor Type and Features.
4 >
5 > We used to have to choose from 100, 250 and 1000 Hz, but recently 300 Hz has
6 > been added, with the following Help text:
7 >
8 > ----
9 > CONFIG_HZ_300:
10 > 300 Hz is a good compromise choice allowing server performance while also
11 > showing good interactive responsiveness even on SMP and NUMA systems and
12 > exactly dividing by both PAL and NTSC frame rates for video and multimedia
13 > work.
14 > ----
15 >
16 > At first I followed the advice without thought, but on reflection it occurs
17 > to me to wonder about the truth of this statement. I suspect it's only true
18 > in North America, northern Japan and a few other places, where the public
19 > supply frequency is 60 Hz. In the rest of the world, with its 50 Hz, I
20 > think 250 would be a better choice.
21 >
22 > I also think it would be more accurate to say "dividing exactly into"
23 > than "by".
24 >
25 > Would anyone like to comment?
26
27 It should say 'divide by', and the frame rate is a property of the
28 television signal, not the power supply.
32 Barry.SCHWARTZ ĉe chemoelectric punkto org http://chemoelectric.org
33 Free stuff / Senpagaj varoj: http://crudfactory.com
34 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush
35 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/12/20051219-2.html)